County Tipperary has a surprisingly varied collection of stone cravings created by amateur and professional stone masons. This page provides an overview of the types of carvings that have recorded to date in the county.
A number of carved stone heads have been identified. They are incorporated into the walls of vernacular houses and farm buildings.
Several carvings of cats and cats with two tails have also been identified. Outside of the county only one other example is known at present, a cats with two tails built into the wall of a building at Roches Street in Limerick City.
An unusual plaque depicting with the date 1832 and a depiction of a bishop with a crozier was recorded at Chapel Street Fethard.
In the nearby town of Thurles the figure of a cleric holding a cross and rosary beads built into a pillar at St Brigid’s cemetery.
It is planed to provide detailed descriptions and discussion of each of the carving in the coming weeks.